Thursday, January 17, 2013

Writers as Readers



When I read, I enjoy being in a slightly warm area with lots of food around just in case. A little bit of back ground noise doesn’t hurt either.

 

 I like to read Sci-Fi books about wars, heroes, and things that can’t really happen, but is fun to think about.


One of the best memories I connect with reading was when I was in kindergarten, I was given a book to read and try to understand. I do not remember the book or the subject, but I remember being very excited and running to the teacher to tell her that I finally understand the words on the page and can read “like a big boy!”


I do believe that books have the power to influence people that have no interest in its subject matter before hand. I do ask though that if you have no interest in it, why read it? But books, like speaking, can influence people even if they aren’t paying attention. Their brain still picks things up and categorizes it even if they aren’t interested.
















When I write, I do envision the reader and how they would like or interpret my work. I try to be a good read for everyone, but mainly people who question a lot of things or just want to experience something they never have before would most likely read my work. Having a reader in mind does affect my work in the sense that I choose easier words, or I might give more graphic detail, or I might even curse a little bit. When I write for myself, I don’t care about grammar, spelling, or correct punctuation. All I care about is getting the ideas out of my head and on to paper before I lose them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that books affect us subconsciously...even when we aren't paying attention, as you said. I also have found as I've gotten older that I don't have to finish every book I start. If I don't care for it, move on. Life is too short and there are far too many books to waste my time on ones that don't really speak to me.

    ReplyDelete