
“This is the saddest story I have ever heard.”
This line from the novel The Good Soldier was published in the year 1915 by the author Ford Madox Ford who lived from 1873 to 1939. This author is also known for other works, including The Brown Owl and The Inheritors.
This book is completely about affairs and love triangles. I have never seen someone create a worse love triangle full of lying, deciet, indecency, and suicide than this. The whole book is about a man who continues to cheat on his wife, his wife losing control and killing herself. Then another man and the first man loving the second man’s niece and the second man’s wife finding out and the second man paying for his change of heart until he kills himself.
The critic that reviewed this book really did not like it. She believed it to defy logic at times and that this book was ultimately a bad book with its plot and the emotions of the narrorator just being passive.
http://www.lehigh.edu/~amsp/2007/08/good-soldier-bad-novel.html
I don't think I would read this book because I hate drama. I am against cheating on you're spouse with someone else, even if it's something simple like saying "I love you" and being serious. I’m also against killing yourself.
I don't think I would read this book because I hate drama. I am against cheating on you're spouse with someone else, even if it's something simple like saying "I love you" and being serious. I’m also against killing yourself.
“He heard the ring of steel against steel as a far foor clanged shut.”
This line from the novel Native Son which was published in the year 1940 by the author Richard Wright who lived from September 4, 1908 to 1960. This author is also known for other works, including Black Boy and Uncle Tom’s Children.
This book is about a black man who finds ways to make money in the 1930’s. he decides to rob black stores, but is scared of the whites to the point that he kills another member of his black gang to keep from having to rob a white store. He then starts working for a white man, kills his daughter, and then rapes and kills his black girlfriend. He is put on trial, defended by the same man who he tried to frame for the white girl’s murder, but ultimately killed for his crimes.
The critic that read this book and reviewed it did not like this book. He thought it was a very good piece for a man who taught himself and as a first book, but not as a work or art.
This book actually sounds interesting to me. I like how he has to make choices and go along with them. I also like how in the end the guy he tries to frame helps him. I don’t like how he rapes his girlfriend though.
Just one more question on each: Do either of these sound like books you would like or want to read?
ReplyDelete